Pages

Vakkaya Pachadi

Vakkaya Pachadi

I don’t know how many people know about this fruit. But this fruit is my favorite when eaten in raw form with bit of salt and chilli powder. One my major edibles when I was pregnant. I had whole day sickness until my 6th month. So I would carry a small tiffin box full of vakkaya /raw mango /amla (small ones) with salt and chilli powder and have it on my desk  and eat entire day while working. I had no choice. If I don’t eat any of these I would vomit  :P . So I can say this was my savior. This I dont find frequently in any of rythu bazars, whenever I find I buy them enough for 2 weeks  or enough for 2-3 dishes :) .  This chutney is extremely tangy so balance it with jaggery and chillies according to your taste  . Here is the recipe.

INGREDIENTS :-
Vakkaya :- 10-12
Chana dal /Bengal gram:- 2 teaspoons
Urad dal :- 2 teaspoons
jeera /cumin seeds:- 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds :- 2 teaspoons
Oil :- 1 tablespoon
curry leaves :- 6-7
Hing :- a pinch
Green chillies :- 4-5 (adjust)
jaggery:- small piece
Salt :- as required
METHOD :-
  1. Cut vakkaya into halves and de-seed them.
  2. Take a pan add a bit oil, add cut vakkaya pieces, green chillies  ,add salt and cook them until vakkaya pieces are soft and keep them aside.
  3. Add bit more oil and all the tempering except jaggery and fry them until light brown .
  4. Crush curry leaves and add them to the pan and add hing.
  5. Now add this into the grinder jar along with cooked vakkaya pieces , adjust salt and add jaggery.
  6. Grind them until soft.

1 comment:

  1. i love this fruit.i had best childhood memories but i didn't find this fruit now. I'm from Hyderabad do you have any idea about this where i get this.

    ReplyDelete